photo

Place des Augustins (2000)

The first fountain in Place des Augustins was built in 1620. At that time it was outside the city limits of Aix-en-Provence. The city grew, and by 1786 the fountain was enlarged to serve as the Age of Enlightenment’s version of a laundromat. The Fontaine des Augustins seen here was completely rebuilt in 1820.


BACK Aix-en-Provence page
tedsimages.com Home